Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 127516" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>I can't answer that with a simple Yes or No.</p><p>I loved the picturesque town and it just screams "mini-series me!" (more additional plotlines)</p><p></p><p>It is my impression that JAWS wants to be a monster movie <em>and</em> a disaster movie (which is possible) but there is one major flaw: where's the danger?</p><p>Well, it's in the water obviously and this big fish turned out to be a very nasty surprise. But once they had acknowledged that they were dealing with a killer shark all terror and suspense ended right there and then - but the movie was going to last for another hour.</p><p>Usually it's the point where the characters are planning an escape, and will they succeed?</p><p></p><p>But the people of Amity Island didn't need to escape, all they had to do was <em>not</em> going into the water. Admittedly, it's inconvenient because people like to swim and go on fishing trips.</p><p>Nevertheless, people don't <em>need</em> to go into the sea in order to survive so I don't really get the tagline "Amity Terrorized By Shark".</p><p>In worst-case scenario, Amity Island would become a ghost town because people would leave to find a job or start their business elsewhere. Unfortunate, yes - terrifying, no.</p><p>(commercial thinking here: make the <em>shark</em> the main attraction, make it the American Loch Ness).</p><p></p><p>As for the characters, the acting was adequate, maybe very good but it's hard to tell since there wasn't much personal drama going on, not even a love affair or something like that.</p><p>There were some quarrels with the Mayor but I would have liked to see more townspeople getting involved, and 2 main characters weren't even locals.</p><p>Like I said, that could work for a longer version.</p><p>As a result, the time they <em>did</em> spend on "character" story seemed too long and it was just waiting for the big showdown.</p><p></p><p>Conclusion: it wasn't great as a psychological thriller and it wasn't great as an action-packed blockbuster movie.</p><p>And yet it's (still) regarded as a quintessential pop culture phenomenon of the seventies. I don't have a problem with that at all, the audiences loved it and <em>they</em> represent the seventies.</p><p>But maybe it wouldn't hurt to revise these classics every now and then in order to decide if they are still the Best Movies Of All Time, purely based on the movie itself rather than its cult status.</p><p></p><p>Personally speaking, I think <em>The Shallows</em> is a better shark movie but not because of the shark. What impressed me the most was the water, all that majestic, merciless water.</p><p>And that's another thing about JAWS: it doesn't <em>feel</em> very wet.</p><p></p><p>As for a possible JAWS series: I'd like it to be all about the town, and the shark as a sub-plot. Come to think of it, it would be great season finale cliffhanger.</p><p></p><p>Sorry Mel O'Drama, it's probably not the answer you had hoped for because I know how much you love these movies - but I didn't want to insult you with a simple "yeah it was all great" just to get it over with.</p><p></p><p>Rating (out of 10): 6.5</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 127516, member: 8"] I can't answer that with a simple Yes or No. I loved the picturesque town and it just screams "mini-series me!" (more additional plotlines) It is my impression that JAWS wants to be a monster movie [I]and[/I] a disaster movie (which is possible) but there is one major flaw: where's the danger? Well, it's in the water obviously and this big fish turned out to be a very nasty surprise. But once they had acknowledged that they were dealing with a killer shark all terror and suspense ended right there and then - but the movie was going to last for another hour. Usually it's the point where the characters are planning an escape, and will they succeed? But the people of Amity Island didn't need to escape, all they had to do was [I]not[/I] going into the water. Admittedly, it's inconvenient because people like to swim and go on fishing trips. Nevertheless, people don't [I]need[/I] to go into the sea in order to survive so I don't really get the tagline "Amity Terrorized By Shark". In worst-case scenario, Amity Island would become a ghost town because people would leave to find a job or start their business elsewhere. Unfortunate, yes - terrifying, no. (commercial thinking here: make the [I]shark[/I] the main attraction, make it the American Loch Ness). As for the characters, the acting was adequate, maybe very good but it's hard to tell since there wasn't much personal drama going on, not even a love affair or something like that. There were some quarrels with the Mayor but I would have liked to see more townspeople getting involved, and 2 main characters weren't even locals. Like I said, that could work for a longer version. As a result, the time they [I]did[/I] spend on "character" story seemed too long and it was just waiting for the big showdown. Conclusion: it wasn't great as a psychological thriller and it wasn't great as an action-packed blockbuster movie. And yet it's (still) regarded as a quintessential pop culture phenomenon of the seventies. I don't have a problem with that at all, the audiences loved it and [I]they[/I] represent the seventies. But maybe it wouldn't hurt to revise these classics every now and then in order to decide if they are still the Best Movies Of All Time, purely based on the movie itself rather than its cult status. Personally speaking, I think [I]The Shallows[/I] is a better shark movie but not because of the shark. What impressed me the most was the water, all that majestic, merciless water. And that's another thing about JAWS: it doesn't [I]feel[/I] very wet. As for a possible JAWS series: I'd like it to be all about the town, and the shark as a sub-plot. Come to think of it, it would be great season finale cliffhanger. Sorry Mel O'Drama, it's probably not the answer you had hoped for because I know how much you love these movies - but I didn't want to insult you with a simple "yeah it was all great" just to get it over with. Rating (out of 10): 6.5 [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top