Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Jaws Thread
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 372595" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>I'm really glad you've mentioned this because I had no idea there was a new book on this subject. </p><p></p><p>I've read <em>Close To Shore</em> and <em>Twelve Days Of Terror </em>many times each. The former book is probably similar to <em>Silent Came The Monster:</em> a linear telling of the events with some filling in of gaps here and there. It paints a very vivid picture of the time and place (with the war, the polio epidemic, etc.) as well as describing the events clearly. <em>Twelve Days Of Terror</em> is a truly fascinating read as it goes into much more analysis and forensic stuff, as well as diverging to discuss other similar series of shark attacks. </p><p></p><p>I'm sure I could be persuaded to read a fictionalised version. That said, I struggled with the <em>12 Days Of Terror</em> film with its addition of the fictitious characters, so I couldn't guarantee I'd love it. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes, it's quite mind-boggling to think that experts were reassuring people that sharks' jaws were too weak to bite a person, while the general public were believing the attacks to be a large cod (or something like that). People didn't even know whether or not a shark bite would contain venom, so there were all these myths floating about. These events really brought the idea of shark attacks into the public consciousness. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I can relate. We don't really have any dangerous shark species on British coastlines (though with climate change influencing water temperatures and making marine animal migration far less predictable this could be changing) but it's still something that crosses my mind whenever I enter the ocean.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 372595, member: 23"] I'm really glad you've mentioned this because I had no idea there was a new book on this subject. I've read [I]Close To Shore[/I] and [I]Twelve Days Of Terror [/I]many times each. The former book is probably similar to [I]Silent Came The Monster:[/I] a linear telling of the events with some filling in of gaps here and there. It paints a very vivid picture of the time and place (with the war, the polio epidemic, etc.) as well as describing the events clearly. [I]Twelve Days Of Terror[/I] is a truly fascinating read as it goes into much more analysis and forensic stuff, as well as diverging to discuss other similar series of shark attacks. I'm sure I could be persuaded to read a fictionalised version. That said, I struggled with the [I]12 Days Of Terror[/I] film with its addition of the fictitious characters, so I couldn't guarantee I'd love it. Yes, it's quite mind-boggling to think that experts were reassuring people that sharks' jaws were too weak to bite a person, while the general public were believing the attacks to be a large cod (or something like that). People didn't even know whether or not a shark bite would contain venom, so there were all these myths floating about. These events really brought the idea of shark attacks into the public consciousness. I can relate. We don't really have any dangerous shark species on British coastlines (though with climate change influencing water temperatures and making marine animal migration far less predictable this could be changing) but it's still something that crosses my mind whenever I enter the ocean. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Jaws Thread
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top