Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Jaws Thread
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 124563" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>I have bought and read many novels, but that was a long time ago (1980s). I have no intention to part with them because a) it looks great on the shelves and b) most of them are ready for a re-read (whenever that will happen, 24 hours per day just isn't enough!)</p><p>Sometimes, usually when I'm cleaning the rooms, I randomly pick up one of these novels just to caress that precious printed treasure, and eventhough I do not always remember the entire story, I can still "see" the characters and many scenes (in detail) exactly the way I did 35 years ago. Probably because I had created them myself, with a little help from the writer.</p><p></p><p>The reason I mentioned mini-series is because the novels I used to read back then were typical mini-series material, either the historical dramas or the glossy dramas.</p><p></p><p>Several classic movies have already gotten the "mini" make-over and I find them very hit-or-miss although I'm sure that had nothing to do with the change of format.</p><p>East Of Eden (1955) had James Dean, but East Of Eden (1981) is as lavish and poignant as the novel.</p><p>The Shining (1980) was a masterpiece, but the mini-series from 1997 was a total drag.</p><p>I have to admit that I have a strong affection for the 1970s zeitgeist: it's that weird combination of natural grittyness and sexy glamour, and no matter how hard they try, it's almost impossible to recapture that particular atmosphere.</p><p></p><p>I've watched JAWS on YouTube (very bad quality upload) only for the horror moments and I have to say I was a little disappointed, hence my confusion regarding the popularity of this movie.</p><p>But the way you describe the story and its characters makes me think that the drama is just as important (if not more) than the horror scenes.</p><p></p><p>TV is the new Cinema, production-wise the sky is the limit so it would be interesting to see how they would tackle NuJAWS.</p><p>As long as they won't turn it into a neverending seasons-style series (like The Walking Dead).</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 124563, member: 8"] I have bought and read many novels, but that was a long time ago (1980s). I have no intention to part with them because a) it looks great on the shelves and b) most of them are ready for a re-read (whenever that will happen, 24 hours per day just isn't enough!) Sometimes, usually when I'm cleaning the rooms, I randomly pick up one of these novels just to caress that precious printed treasure, and eventhough I do not always remember the entire story, I can still "see" the characters and many scenes (in detail) exactly the way I did 35 years ago. Probably because I had created them myself, with a little help from the writer. The reason I mentioned mini-series is because the novels I used to read back then were typical mini-series material, either the historical dramas or the glossy dramas. Several classic movies have already gotten the "mini" make-over and I find them very hit-or-miss although I'm sure that had nothing to do with the change of format. East Of Eden (1955) had James Dean, but East Of Eden (1981) is as lavish and poignant as the novel. The Shining (1980) was a masterpiece, but the mini-series from 1997 was a total drag. I have to admit that I have a strong affection for the 1970s zeitgeist: it's that weird combination of natural grittyness and sexy glamour, and no matter how hard they try, it's almost impossible to recapture that particular atmosphere. I've watched JAWS on YouTube (very bad quality upload) only for the horror moments and I have to say I was a little disappointed, hence my confusion regarding the popularity of this movie. But the way you describe the story and its characters makes me think that the drama is just as important (if not more) than the horror scenes. TV is the new Cinema, production-wise the sky is the limit so it would be interesting to see how they would tackle NuJAWS. As long as they won't turn it into a neverending seasons-style series (like The Walking Dead). [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Jaws Thread
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top