Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 93700" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Series Seven of<em> Nearest And Dearest </em>is underway. It's been a pleasant enough watch. The final series feels a little sharper and funnier than the previous ones. I've found myself laughing out loud at them. </p><p></p><p>The roll call of familiar names in small roles continues to give another layer of viewing pleasure. Maggie Jones and Julie Goodyear have recurred. Fred Feast, Roy Barraclough, Kathy Staff and Shirley Stelfox (twice) have also appeared. </p><p></p><p>Baker and Jewel are fine as the feuding siblings. Jewel has a kind of Sid James rough and ready quality to him, while Baker is your Mollie Sugden type. Madge Hindle has been wonderful as cousin Lily. She has a gift for deadpan and holds things together nicely when Jewel and Baker are corpsing (which they frequently do). Word is that she was prompting Hylda Baker with her lines as her dementia crept in. If that's the case then I'm hugely impressed because I haven't spotted it. Edward Malin frequently steals the show as the silent Walter, sitting there with a glazed look as Nellie forcefully points at him and asks Lily "has he been?". He has such an expressive face that my eyes are on him whenever he's on screen to see what he's going to do next. I had wondered if he was just an extra who got lucky, but Malin has quite a CV on IMDb, which explains why he knows how to get the best out of this dialogue-free role. </p><p></p><p>The extras so far have been quite random, which is not necessarily a bad thing. We had a behind-the-scenes interview of Jewel doing panto in the late sixties - including all the outtakes. There's been Hylda Baker's interview with Russell Harty, her tour of a pickle factory and curious music video of Hylda singing <em>You're The One That I Want </em>with Arthur Mullard, which I'm sure [USER=2]@Ome[/USER] has posted in the Top Tens before now.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 93700, member: 23"] Series Seven of[I] Nearest And Dearest [/I]is underway. It's been a pleasant enough watch. The final series feels a little sharper and funnier than the previous ones. I've found myself laughing out loud at them. The roll call of familiar names in small roles continues to give another layer of viewing pleasure. Maggie Jones and Julie Goodyear have recurred. Fred Feast, Roy Barraclough, Kathy Staff and Shirley Stelfox (twice) have also appeared. Baker and Jewel are fine as the feuding siblings. Jewel has a kind of Sid James rough and ready quality to him, while Baker is your Mollie Sugden type. Madge Hindle has been wonderful as cousin Lily. She has a gift for deadpan and holds things together nicely when Jewel and Baker are corpsing (which they frequently do). Word is that she was prompting Hylda Baker with her lines as her dementia crept in. If that's the case then I'm hugely impressed because I haven't spotted it. Edward Malin frequently steals the show as the silent Walter, sitting there with a glazed look as Nellie forcefully points at him and asks Lily "has he been?". He has such an expressive face that my eyes are on him whenever he's on screen to see what he's going to do next. I had wondered if he was just an extra who got lucky, but Malin has quite a CV on IMDb, which explains why he knows how to get the best out of this dialogue-free role. The extras so far have been quite random, which is not necessarily a bad thing. We had a behind-the-scenes interview of Jewel doing panto in the late sixties - including all the outtakes. There's been Hylda Baker's interview with Russell Harty, her tour of a pickle factory and curious music video of Hylda singing [I]You're The One That I Want [/I]with Arthur Mullard, which I'm sure [USER=2]@Ome[/USER] has posted in the Top Tens before now. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top