Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 73800" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>My <em>Happy Ever After </em>jaunt has reached the end of Series Three and is still one of the best parts of my day.</p><p></p><p>The Aunt Lucy character has taken a while to grow on me, but I've got to love the running gags around her character: Terry's increasingly blunt hints about wanting her to leave and her knack for appearing whenever a bottle of sherry or brandy is cracked open. Her mynah bird seems to have disappeared without comment, but I don't mind as I was starting to worry about the poor little thing under those hot studio lights.</p><p></p><p>Terry's British Leyland cars (and others in the show) are a nostalgic part of the viewing experience of this show and <em>Terry & June</em>. There's something quite fitting about them that feels right for the series - they're comforting, terribly British and rather bland. He started out with a K-reg Maxi (which would be '71-2) which has regressed into a K-reg Austin 1800. They even took it stock racing in one of the episodes.</p><p></p><p>The foreign exchange episode gave the series the opportunity to fall back on two favourite Terry personality tropes: his Colonel Blimp mentality and the leering, dirty old man. As with the Asian daughter-in-law episode, his sexism helped him triumph over his racism on discovering the French exchange student he was dreading was buxom and curvaceous. I think I commented on this when watching<em> Terry & June</em>, but what I find at most disturbing about Terry lusting after their young houseguest is the way June accepts it with smiling resignation.</p><p></p><p>A couple of future <em>'Allo 'Allo </em>actors have appeared. Rose Hill was instantly recognisable, her voice sounding just the same but with a different accent. She even treated us to a great deal of Madame Fanny-esque bad singing. More foreshadowing with Kirsten Cooke: she had a walk-on role at the end of the foreign exchange episode as a new French student for Terry to lust over.</p><p></p><p>I'm very curious about the reason <em>Mistaken Identikit </em>was chosen to be remade almost word for word as an episode of <em>Terry & June </em>towards the end of that series' run. It's a great episode, but then any number of them are. Josephine Tewson was in the HEA version, with some thoroughly enjoyable panicking at having to interact with Terry whom she believes to be a mugger.</p><p></p><p>The props department must've had great fun with the teasmade, which looked like those gizmos they used to wheel onto the floor of Grace Brothers every once in a while. The jug rose up and poured tea into the pot which then whirred round amusingly (it occurred to me while watching that I've never actually seen a real teasmade in action, so for all I know they do this for real). Naturally it all went tits up and took on a life of its own, and was part of an enjoyably silly elaborate plot involving multiple teasmades being given as presents in an effort to get rid of them.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 73800, member: 23"] My [I]Happy Ever After [/I]jaunt has reached the end of Series Three and is still one of the best parts of my day. The Aunt Lucy character has taken a while to grow on me, but I've got to love the running gags around her character: Terry's increasingly blunt hints about wanting her to leave and her knack for appearing whenever a bottle of sherry or brandy is cracked open. Her mynah bird seems to have disappeared without comment, but I don't mind as I was starting to worry about the poor little thing under those hot studio lights. Terry's British Leyland cars (and others in the show) are a nostalgic part of the viewing experience of this show and [I]Terry & June[/I]. There's something quite fitting about them that feels right for the series - they're comforting, terribly British and rather bland. He started out with a K-reg Maxi (which would be '71-2) which has regressed into a K-reg Austin 1800. They even took it stock racing in one of the episodes. The foreign exchange episode gave the series the opportunity to fall back on two favourite Terry personality tropes: his Colonel Blimp mentality and the leering, dirty old man. As with the Asian daughter-in-law episode, his sexism helped him triumph over his racism on discovering the French exchange student he was dreading was buxom and curvaceous. I think I commented on this when watching[I] Terry & June[/I], but what I find at most disturbing about Terry lusting after their young houseguest is the way June accepts it with smiling resignation. A couple of future [I]'Allo 'Allo [/I]actors have appeared. Rose Hill was instantly recognisable, her voice sounding just the same but with a different accent. She even treated us to a great deal of Madame Fanny-esque bad singing. More foreshadowing with Kirsten Cooke: she had a walk-on role at the end of the foreign exchange episode as a new French student for Terry to lust over. I'm very curious about the reason [I]Mistaken Identikit [/I]was chosen to be remade almost word for word as an episode of [I]Terry & June [/I]towards the end of that series' run. It's a great episode, but then any number of them are. Josephine Tewson was in the HEA version, with some thoroughly enjoyable panicking at having to interact with Terry whom she believes to be a mugger. The props department must've had great fun with the teasmade, which looked like those gizmos they used to wheel onto the floor of Grace Brothers every once in a while. The jug rose up and poured tea into the pot which then whirred round amusingly (it occurred to me while watching that I've never actually seen a real teasmade in action, so for all I know they do this for real). Naturally it all went tits up and took on a life of its own, and was part of an enjoyably silly elaborate plot involving multiple teasmades being given as presents in an effort to get rid of them. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top