Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 439721" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>I debated alluding to this in the discussion on <em>The Psychiatrist</em>, but I honestly couldn't predict how you would feel about <em>Waldorf Salad</em>. I'm glad it's a hit with you.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Mrs Richards' demands were ostensibly irrational, but seem less so when it's understood that she's based on a very specific type of customer who nitpicks and finds things to criticise in order to demand a reduction.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes. That opening scene with its whispered complaints between guests about the food - unwilling to raise a complaint and even saying "yes thank you" when asked if everything is all right - is just so typically British. "There's no point [complaining]. We just won't come here again" is like a mantra for many. And this goes some way to explaining how Fawlty - and the real-life Fawltys - got away with providing such appalling customer service.</p><p></p><p>Poor customer service was somewhat more acceptable here than it would have been in America. Examples of this are represented in other sitcoms such as <em>Are You Being Served?</em> , <em>Open All Hours</em> or the later <em>Black Books</em> (and <em>Rising Damp</em> if we're including grotty landlords). The fact that these situations are identifiable helps make them funnier. </p><p></p><p>Things are changing. The best influence American corporations have had on our high street and hospitality sectors is the adoption of a significantly higher level of customer service. This hotel would go under very quickly in the age of online reviews and influencers - not to mention much stiffer competition from numerous hotels providing a much more acceptable service. Still, though, a member of a dining party receiving a dish that's not as expected will, even today, reduce the conversation to hushed whispers as that uncomfortable decision about whether or not to "make a fuss" is made. Even then it's likely to be of the stammered "I'm terribly sorry, but..." variety.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Clearly, both Cleese and Booth would have been acutely aware of the cultural differences when it comes to expectations of customer service. I'm sure they felt this one was too good not to use.</p><p></p><p>Ahead of time, I did wonder what you would think of the portrayal of Mr Richards. In one reaction to this episode I watched the (American) viewer questioned if the actor was simply a British actor playing a stereotypical American. In fact, Canadian Bruce Boa made a career out of playing Americans in shows and films produced in Britain (among other things, he can be spotted in <em>The Omen,</em> <em>The Empire Strikes Back </em>and<em> Octopussy</em>).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I'll let that one unfold organically.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 439721, member: 23"] I debated alluding to this in the discussion on [I]The Psychiatrist[/I], but I honestly couldn't predict how you would feel about [I]Waldorf Salad[/I]. I'm glad it's a hit with you. Mrs Richards' demands were ostensibly irrational, but seem less so when it's understood that she's based on a very specific type of customer who nitpicks and finds things to criticise in order to demand a reduction. Yes. That opening scene with its whispered complaints between guests about the food - unwilling to raise a complaint and even saying "yes thank you" when asked if everything is all right - is just so typically British. "There's no point [complaining]. We just won't come here again" is like a mantra for many. And this goes some way to explaining how Fawlty - and the real-life Fawltys - got away with providing such appalling customer service. Poor customer service was somewhat more acceptable here than it would have been in America. Examples of this are represented in other sitcoms such as [I]Are You Being Served?[/I] , [I]Open All Hours[/I] or the later [I]Black Books[/I] (and [I]Rising Damp[/I] if we're including grotty landlords). The fact that these situations are identifiable helps make them funnier. Things are changing. The best influence American corporations have had on our high street and hospitality sectors is the adoption of a significantly higher level of customer service. This hotel would go under very quickly in the age of online reviews and influencers - not to mention much stiffer competition from numerous hotels providing a much more acceptable service. Still, though, a member of a dining party receiving a dish that's not as expected will, even today, reduce the conversation to hushed whispers as that uncomfortable decision about whether or not to "make a fuss" is made. Even then it's likely to be of the stammered "I'm terribly sorry, but..." variety. Clearly, both Cleese and Booth would have been acutely aware of the cultural differences when it comes to expectations of customer service. I'm sure they felt this one was too good not to use. Ahead of time, I did wonder what you would think of the portrayal of Mr Richards. In one reaction to this episode I watched the (American) viewer questioned if the actor was simply a British actor playing a stereotypical American. In fact, Canadian Bruce Boa made a career out of playing Americans in shows and films produced in Britain (among other things, he can be spotted in [I]The Omen,[/I] [I]The Empire Strikes Back [/I]and[I] Octopussy[/I]). I'll let that one unfold organically. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top