Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 439638" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>Should you be curious, the scene is on YT. It's pretty self-contained. The only context you'd need is that Miss Piggy lied about her address and is sneaking into the home.</p><p></p><p>I don't know if Cleese wrote the scene, but it reminded me of Mr & Mrs Leach's interactions in AFCW.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I did watch the episode a second time and found much to appreciate on rewatch. The pantomime scene was terrific, but both times I was inordinately amused by Sybil snapping her head around and glaring, unblinkingly, at Basil when she suspected he was gambling.</p><p></p><p>Perhaps my biggest surprise is how nuanced the characters are on the show. Most sitcom characters fall victim to "Flanderization", flattening characters to a single comedic trait for easy laughs, either out of the gate or over time. Only the loftiest of sitcoms create truly complex characters who are more than easy gags. Considering how broad it is, I did not expect FT to bother with subtle characterizations. Basil, I had bagged as a surly misanthrope. In the scheme of things, those have turned out to be lesser traits of the character. While he's far from endearing, he's not unrelatable. </p><p></p><p>I found myself wondering: is there any indication of how much in-show time passed between seasons one and two? The only change I've noted is that Manuel's English has improved, but not as much as I'd expect if it was meant to be four years later.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>18 episodes or a bloody murder. Either way, we'd have more to discuss.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 439638, member: 5079"] Should you be curious, the scene is on YT. It's pretty self-contained. The only context you'd need is that Miss Piggy lied about her address and is sneaking into the home. I don't know if Cleese wrote the scene, but it reminded me of Mr & Mrs Leach's interactions in AFCW. I did watch the episode a second time and found much to appreciate on rewatch. The pantomime scene was terrific, but both times I was inordinately amused by Sybil snapping her head around and glaring, unblinkingly, at Basil when she suspected he was gambling. Perhaps my biggest surprise is how nuanced the characters are on the show. Most sitcom characters fall victim to "Flanderization", flattening characters to a single comedic trait for easy laughs, either out of the gate or over time. Only the loftiest of sitcoms create truly complex characters who are more than easy gags. Considering how broad it is, I did not expect FT to bother with subtle characterizations. Basil, I had bagged as a surly misanthrope. In the scheme of things, those have turned out to be lesser traits of the character. While he's far from endearing, he's not unrelatable. I found myself wondering: is there any indication of how much in-show time passed between seasons one and two? The only change I've noted is that Manuel's English has improved, but not as much as I'd expect if it was meant to be four years later. 18 episodes or a bloody murder. Either way, we'd have more to discuss. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top