Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 439616" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Oh my. Your comments about your introduction to <em>Fawlty</em> make this my most-anticipated thread when I visit the site. I have no idea how I missed your latest one until now, especially with me looking forward to your views on<em> Communication Problems </em>more than many.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>This is wonderful to read. It's a favourite episode of mine, and while it's generally well-praised, any "list" type articles generally find this one pushed down behind a number of episodes from Series One.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh, that's interesting. I don't think I've watched <em>TGMC</em>, so that's news to me. Since <em>Fawlty</em> was universally known I wonder if this pairing was partly a nod to their pairing in <em>Communication Problems</em>.</p><p></p><p>While nothing else springs to mind in terms of her working with John Cleese, she did go on to play Prunella Scales' mother in the gentle sitcom <em>After Henry,</em> which began life as a radio series in 1985 and was later adapted for TV with Scales and Sanderson in the same roles.</p><p></p><p>While Mrs Richards sees her at her most dragon-like, Sanderson was probably best known for playing no-nonsense authority types or critical mothers/mothers-in-law/aunties (prior to <em>Fawlty</em>, she was well-known for playing a formidable schoolmistress in the sitcom <em>Please Sir!)</em>. There was a touch of this element to her character in <em>After Henry,</em> but there was also a nice warmth between the mother and daughter, which makes the <em>Fawlty</em> episode more interesting in retrospect. I don't claim to know the series well, but I enjoyed it, and a key memory is Joan impressing me with one particular recitation which, fortunately, is one of the only clips uploaded to the Yousual place.</p><p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">[MEDIA=youtube]F0ubj1vw_UI[/MEDIA]</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes. It was perfectly played.</p><p></p><p>The moment in this episode that never fails to get a big laugh from me is at the tail end of Basil's overwrought charade to act out the name of the winning horse to Polly behind Sybill's back. Just as Polly wearily gets the name "Dragonfly", Basil can be seen running away off frame just as Sybill thanks Polly and turns around. It's such a small but perfectly frenetic visual to wrap up a wild scene, and Sybill's lack of awareness makes it even funnier.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Spot on.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yikes. If the first six culminated in divorce, who knows where episodes 13-18 would have led.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 439616, member: 23"] Oh my. Your comments about your introduction to [I]Fawlty[/I] make this my most-anticipated thread when I visit the site. I have no idea how I missed your latest one until now, especially with me looking forward to your views on[I] Communication Problems [/I]more than many. This is wonderful to read. It's a favourite episode of mine, and while it's generally well-praised, any "list" type articles generally find this one pushed down behind a number of episodes from Series One. Oh, that's interesting. I don't think I've watched [I]TGMC[/I], so that's news to me. Since [I]Fawlty[/I] was universally known I wonder if this pairing was partly a nod to their pairing in [I]Communication Problems[/I]. While nothing else springs to mind in terms of her working with John Cleese, she did go on to play Prunella Scales' mother in the gentle sitcom [I]After Henry,[/I] which began life as a radio series in 1985 and was later adapted for TV with Scales and Sanderson in the same roles. While Mrs Richards sees her at her most dragon-like, Sanderson was probably best known for playing no-nonsense authority types or critical mothers/mothers-in-law/aunties (prior to [I]Fawlty[/I], she was well-known for playing a formidable schoolmistress in the sitcom [I]Please Sir!)[/I]. There was a touch of this element to her character in [I]After Henry,[/I] but there was also a nice warmth between the mother and daughter, which makes the [I]Fawlty[/I] episode more interesting in retrospect. I don't claim to know the series well, but I enjoyed it, and a key memory is Joan impressing me with one particular recitation which, fortunately, is one of the only clips uploaded to the Yousual place. [CENTER] [MEDIA=youtube]F0ubj1vw_UI[/MEDIA] [/CENTER] Yes. It was perfectly played. The moment in this episode that never fails to get a big laugh from me is at the tail end of Basil's overwrought charade to act out the name of the winning horse to Polly behind Sybill's back. Just as Polly wearily gets the name "Dragonfly", Basil can be seen running away off frame just as Sybill thanks Polly and turns around. It's such a small but perfectly frenetic visual to wrap up a wild scene, and Sybill's lack of awareness makes it even funnier. Spot on. Yikes. If the first six culminated in divorce, who knows where episodes 13-18 would have led. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top