Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 439303" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>I watched the episode a second time, the third episode that I've watched twice. My opinion this time didn't change much. The parts of the episode that I enjoyed, I enjoyed more; but taken as a whole, I found the episode noisy and cluttered. Of the six episodes, I'd rank this as sixth.</p><p></p><p>My main problem is narrative structure. All other episodes seem intricately plotted, leading to a comedic crescendo. This episode is structured like two. I rather found it felt like that SNAVELY MANOR pilot, with too much going on. The fire drill scene felt like an extended detour that could have been its own episode. The episode went hysterical too early and then did it again; I found it slightly exhausting. The sequence might have been what put Basil in the hospital, leading to the third act, but the already established falling moose head could surely have done that.</p><p></p><p>Not to say the fire drill sequence wasn't funny taken on its own. Andrew Sachs' performance here deserves special praise, a chaotic ballet of physical comedy -- and presumably dangerous working with that fire.</p><p></p><p>I enjoyed the two scenes between Basil and Sybil. Their passive-aggressiveness towards each other -- while seemingly being oblivious to the other's passive-aggressiveness -- is consistently amusing. And as much as I was taken out by the Basil-Major scene, it's undoubtedly well crafted verbal confusion, as Basil's misogyny and the Major's racism get muddled.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>If I had watched the episodes at a quicker pace, I'm sure I would have. I watched SNAVELY just over a month ago and, well, it wasn't all that memorable. As much as the pilot was a muddle, some of it has blurred into my recollections of FAWLTY.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Funny, it hadn't even occurred to me I had reached the end of the season and the midway point in the series.</p><p></p><p>The next season was made four years later. I know British shows are often quite short, but is it normal also for such long gaps between them? Did Cleese regard the first season as one-and-done and got lured back? Or was the series not success at first, not warranting more at the time?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 439303, member: 5079"] I watched the episode a second time, the third episode that I've watched twice. My opinion this time didn't change much. The parts of the episode that I enjoyed, I enjoyed more; but taken as a whole, I found the episode noisy and cluttered. Of the six episodes, I'd rank this as sixth. My main problem is narrative structure. All other episodes seem intricately plotted, leading to a comedic crescendo. This episode is structured like two. I rather found it felt like that SNAVELY MANOR pilot, with too much going on. The fire drill scene felt like an extended detour that could have been its own episode. The episode went hysterical too early and then did it again; I found it slightly exhausting. The sequence might have been what put Basil in the hospital, leading to the third act, but the already established falling moose head could surely have done that. Not to say the fire drill sequence wasn't funny taken on its own. Andrew Sachs' performance here deserves special praise, a chaotic ballet of physical comedy -- and presumably dangerous working with that fire. I enjoyed the two scenes between Basil and Sybil. Their passive-aggressiveness towards each other -- while seemingly being oblivious to the other's passive-aggressiveness -- is consistently amusing. And as much as I was taken out by the Basil-Major scene, it's undoubtedly well crafted verbal confusion, as Basil's misogyny and the Major's racism get muddled. If I had watched the episodes at a quicker pace, I'm sure I would have. I watched SNAVELY just over a month ago and, well, it wasn't all that memorable. As much as the pilot was a muddle, some of it has blurred into my recollections of FAWLTY. Funny, it hadn't even occurred to me I had reached the end of the season and the midway point in the series. The next season was made four years later. I know British shows are often quite short, but is it normal also for such long gaps between them? Did Cleese regard the first season as one-and-done and got lured back? Or was the series not success at first, not warranting more at the time? [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top