Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 439292" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>This was unexpected for me. With <em>The Hotel Inspectors</em> preceding it I'd thought you might have your guard up. But then that's easy for me to say from a perspective of knowing the episodes. The (possible) good news is I think that's all the <em>Snavely</em> scripts covered now. Everything from here on should be material you haven't seen acted out before.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes, it's probably quite British, but also very much of its time. Just a few years ago, this was the scene that got the episode briefly taken down from BBC's streaming platform which led to a minor outcry over censorship (it was returned some time later, uncensored other than the addition of a warning about offensive language or attitudes.</p><p></p><p>You're quite right that the commentary about the inappropriateness of the Major's rant was minimal. It's plain that Basil views him as rambling by the comment under his breath that the Major has "started early", which in turn could imply that he is talking rubbish, but it's mostly done in a sense that the Major's narrow-mindedness and antiquated attitude cause others to sigh inwardly and then tune him out rather than offer a challenge, rebuttal or consequence.</p><p></p><p>Keeping on the topic of race, in the reactions to this episode I've watched, another moment that seems to confuse is Basil's clearly startled initial reaction to the black doctor at the hospital. It's nice we're in a place that it wouldn't occur to younger viewers that Basil would have considered seeing a black doctor as surprising and a bit of a big deal.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>It is very dialled-up in this episode, so I'm glad you were still able to find some things to enjoy, and it's also refreshing to know it's your least favourite since it's one of those episodes that almost everyone thinks of first when the series is mentioned.</p><p></p><p>It sounds like I find it more enjoyable than you did, but there are still others that top it for me (the next episode being very high on the list).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>That's terrific. It is a great line.</p><p></p><p>One that never fails to make me grin is Basil's utterance of "I wish it was an ingrowing tongue". His schadenfreude over Sybill's pain was good fun all round. I don't mind petty Basil.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Congratulations on reaching the end of Series One, and the halfway point of the whole thing. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the second.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 439292, member: 23"] This was unexpected for me. With [I]The Hotel Inspectors[/I] preceding it I'd thought you might have your guard up. But then that's easy for me to say from a perspective of knowing the episodes. The (possible) good news is I think that's all the [I]Snavely[/I] scripts covered now. Everything from here on should be material you haven't seen acted out before. Yes, it's probably quite British, but also very much of its time. Just a few years ago, this was the scene that got the episode briefly taken down from BBC's streaming platform which led to a minor outcry over censorship (it was returned some time later, uncensored other than the addition of a warning about offensive language or attitudes. You're quite right that the commentary about the inappropriateness of the Major's rant was minimal. It's plain that Basil views him as rambling by the comment under his breath that the Major has "started early", which in turn could imply that he is talking rubbish, but it's mostly done in a sense that the Major's narrow-mindedness and antiquated attitude cause others to sigh inwardly and then tune him out rather than offer a challenge, rebuttal or consequence. Keeping on the topic of race, in the reactions to this episode I've watched, another moment that seems to confuse is Basil's clearly startled initial reaction to the black doctor at the hospital. It's nice we're in a place that it wouldn't occur to younger viewers that Basil would have considered seeing a black doctor as surprising and a bit of a big deal. It is very dialled-up in this episode, so I'm glad you were still able to find some things to enjoy, and it's also refreshing to know it's your least favourite since it's one of those episodes that almost everyone thinks of first when the series is mentioned. It sounds like I find it more enjoyable than you did, but there are still others that top it for me (the next episode being very high on the list). That's terrific. It is a great line. One that never fails to make me grin is Basil's utterance of "I wish it was an ingrowing tongue". His schadenfreude over Sybill's pain was good fun all round. I don't mind petty Basil. Congratulations on reaching the end of Series One, and the halfway point of the whole thing. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the second. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top