Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 439286" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>Onto episode six, "The Germans". I gather this is a controversial one and understandably so. I'll admit up front that this is my least favorite episode thus far and not for the obvious reasons.</p><p></p><p>Again, I found myself with a feeling of <em>deja vu</em>. "This show does a curious number of fire drills" leading to "Did I watch this episode already?" And then I realized this was another episode ransacked by the American pilot SNAVELY MANOR. It's again obvious that these FAWLTY TOWER episodes cannot be chopped up and reassembled. Within limited scope, I think SNAVELY at least handled the fire drill bit better than the other borrowed plots.</p><p></p><p>I accept that works of entertainment from past eras can feel out of sync to modern sensibilities. I'm never offended by such things, and I wasn't here. I think I'm too American for this British nonchalance about touchy matters. It was a blessing in to the casual handling of the chef's sexuality, but the show's handling of racism feels foreign to me. In an American show, I could see Archie Bunker saying something similar to the Major's comments -- albeit softened -- but it would have been a commentary on the idiocy of such bigotry. Here, I felt no such context. It just seemed like it was there for the audience to recognize and laugh along with.</p><p></p><p>And yet, not even what I disliked about the episode. In short, this was the loudest episode so far; almost nonstop shouty. If every episode played at this fevered, continuous pitch, I wouldn't have enjoyed the earlier episodes as much.</p><p></p><p>None of which is to say I disliked the episode; it's just my least favorite so far. "Yes you did, you invaded Poland!" elicited an uncommon genuine laugh-out-loud from me -- only the second episode so far to earn that distinction.</p><p></p><p>A knock on the head leading to amnesia is a common, and implausible, trope in classic American sitcoms (often followed by the even more implausible "cure" being a second knock on the head). This episode did an interesting, and slightly less implausible, variation of that trope, with Basil's knock on the head leading to muddled, uninhibited hysteria. I don't know if that's really a symptom of a concussion , but it at least plays more comedically believable than "Who am I?"</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 439286, member: 5079"] Onto episode six, "The Germans". I gather this is a controversial one and understandably so. I'll admit up front that this is my least favorite episode thus far and not for the obvious reasons. Again, I found myself with a feeling of [I]deja vu[/I]. "This show does a curious number of fire drills" leading to "Did I watch this episode already?" And then I realized this was another episode ransacked by the American pilot SNAVELY MANOR. It's again obvious that these FAWLTY TOWER episodes cannot be chopped up and reassembled. Within limited scope, I think SNAVELY at least handled the fire drill bit better than the other borrowed plots. I accept that works of entertainment from past eras can feel out of sync to modern sensibilities. I'm never offended by such things, and I wasn't here. I think I'm too American for this British nonchalance about touchy matters. It was a blessing in to the casual handling of the chef's sexuality, but the show's handling of racism feels foreign to me. In an American show, I could see Archie Bunker saying something similar to the Major's comments -- albeit softened -- but it would have been a commentary on the idiocy of such bigotry. Here, I felt no such context. It just seemed like it was there for the audience to recognize and laugh along with. And yet, not even what I disliked about the episode. In short, this was the loudest episode so far; almost nonstop shouty. If every episode played at this fevered, continuous pitch, I wouldn't have enjoyed the earlier episodes as much. None of which is to say I disliked the episode; it's just my least favorite so far. "Yes you did, you invaded Poland!" elicited an uncommon genuine laugh-out-loud from me -- only the second episode so far to earn that distinction. A knock on the head leading to amnesia is a common, and implausible, trope in classic American sitcoms (often followed by the even more implausible "cure" being a second knock on the head). This episode did an interesting, and slightly less implausible, variation of that trope, with Basil's knock on the head leading to muddled, uninhibited hysteria. I don't know if that's really a symptom of a concussion , but it at least plays more comedically believable than "Who am I?" [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top