Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 438748" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>My slow pace of watching episodes is no reflection on the show; I can just go days without turning on my TV, especially when the weather is nice.</p><p></p><p>The third episode, "The Wedding Party", is the best so far. I watched it twice over the span of a couple days. The episode started relatively the same as the first two, with Basil being openly contemptuous to a newly arrived guest. The episode then branched into a delightful number of parallel plots, all hinging on innuendo and overheard, misunderstood conversations. I can see now the clear influence the plotting of this show had on American series, from THREE'S COMPANY to FRASIER. My surprise if that FAWLTY is closer to the rowdy TC than the pretentious FRASIER. If I had any misconception about FAWLTY, it's that it was a 'highbrow' sitcom, a comedic Masterpiece Theatre. </p><p></p><p>Of the recurring characters, I've grown fond of Major Gowen; although I have a bit of foreknowledge that he's tied to what I assume is the worst of FAWLTY. This particular character type was a common British stereotype in mid-20th century Hollywood -- always an older Military man, affable and vague, who says "what?" a lot (pronounced as "wut"). Bernard Fox made a whole career out of this type, an actor so extravagantly English I'm not surprised to find out he wasn't English.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 438748, member: 5079"] My slow pace of watching episodes is no reflection on the show; I can just go days without turning on my TV, especially when the weather is nice. The third episode, "The Wedding Party", is the best so far. I watched it twice over the span of a couple days. The episode started relatively the same as the first two, with Basil being openly contemptuous to a newly arrived guest. The episode then branched into a delightful number of parallel plots, all hinging on innuendo and overheard, misunderstood conversations. I can see now the clear influence the plotting of this show had on American series, from THREE'S COMPANY to FRASIER. My surprise if that FAWLTY is closer to the rowdy TC than the pretentious FRASIER. If I had any misconception about FAWLTY, it's that it was a 'highbrow' sitcom, a comedic Masterpiece Theatre. Of the recurring characters, I've grown fond of Major Gowen; although I have a bit of foreknowledge that he's tied to what I assume is the worst of FAWLTY. This particular character type was a common British stereotype in mid-20th century Hollywood -- always an older Military man, affable and vague, who says "what?" a lot (pronounced as "wut"). Bernard Fox made a whole career out of this type, an actor so extravagantly English I'm not surprised to find out he wasn't English. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top