Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 438570" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Great. Your enjoyment of these episodes is already making me vicariously happy. I find it very rewatchable, and your revisits have underlined that there's gold to be mined from doing this.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Spot on.</p><p></p><p>A little nugget for you: Basil is based on <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sinclair_(hotel_owner)#Fawlty_Towers" target="_blank">Torquay hotel owner Donald Sinclair</a>. The Python team stayed at his place but were driven out by his rude eccentricities (except for Cleese and Booth who stayed to study him) which was the germ that became <em>Fawlty</em>.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes. I think his social aspirations are clear in the first episode (title and all). He categorises guests (or potential guests) into two categories, "his" type of guest (or the type he aspires to impress) and the "wrong" type of guest. There's a great deal of class snobbery behind almost initiative he comes up with to attract or repel certain demographics. I can see why Bea Arthur was chosen for the adaption because Basil is kind of like Maude - trying to cultivate situations and relationships that shine a light on them as being X type of person - but swapping out the middle class guilt for upper middle class aspiration.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes. I'll be interested to see your take on her role in the proceedings as the series goes along.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>One aspect that would never fly today is the threat of physical violence.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh nice. Appreciating this, I think you're in for a treat.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>This is more than fair. TV budgets for many British series of the time were very modest compared with their American counterparts, with many shot cheaply and on videotape. There are numerous examples of hit TV series where chunks of episodes have been wiped because TV was considered a disposable medium.</p><p></p><p>I'm so used to <em>Fawlty's</em> aesthetic I'm somewhat lacking in objectivity around this, so it's good to know you find it holds up in this regard.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I share that perception.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 438570, member: 23"] Great. Your enjoyment of these episodes is already making me vicariously happy. I find it very rewatchable, and your revisits have underlined that there's gold to be mined from doing this. Spot on. A little nugget for you: Basil is based on [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sinclair_(hotel_owner)#Fawlty_Towers']Torquay hotel owner Donald Sinclair[/URL]. The Python team stayed at his place but were driven out by his rude eccentricities (except for Cleese and Booth who stayed to study him) which was the germ that became [I]Fawlty[/I]. Yes. I think his social aspirations are clear in the first episode (title and all). He categorises guests (or potential guests) into two categories, "his" type of guest (or the type he aspires to impress) and the "wrong" type of guest. There's a great deal of class snobbery behind almost initiative he comes up with to attract or repel certain demographics. I can see why Bea Arthur was chosen for the adaption because Basil is kind of like Maude - trying to cultivate situations and relationships that shine a light on them as being X type of person - but swapping out the middle class guilt for upper middle class aspiration. Yes. I'll be interested to see your take on her role in the proceedings as the series goes along. One aspect that would never fly today is the threat of physical violence. Oh nice. Appreciating this, I think you're in for a treat. This is more than fair. TV budgets for many British series of the time were very modest compared with their American counterparts, with many shot cheaply and on videotape. There are numerous examples of hit TV series where chunks of episodes have been wiped because TV was considered a disposable medium. I'm so used to [I]Fawlty's[/I] aesthetic I'm somewhat lacking in objectivity around this, so it's good to know you find it holds up in this regard. I share that perception. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top