Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Angela Chilling" data-source="post: 382284" data-attributes="member: 33"><p>You make some really interesting points. When I watch old TV series and they make racist jokes it still triggers strong negative feelings within me. My jaw literally drops or I physically gasp because it reminds me of how overtly racist the UK could be during that period. However, I do think there is a strong case for continuing to broadcast these shows to remind all viewers of what the UK was like during the 1970s which was far from being the generous, welcoming country we sometimes like to fool ourselves that we were. Similarly with the misogyny and behaviour which today would correctly be called out as sexual harassment or assault but in 1970s sitcoms would be dismissed as men being randy or playful and so was a totally legitimate thing to find funny. </p><p></p><p></p><p>I agree, I think he's great. Olive and Blakey were funny and likeable, they were more caricatures, whereas Arthur was a more grounded and believable character and Michael Robbins was great in the role. I remember him also being in a sitcom which I really liked but few other people did because it wasn't particularly successful and only ran for one or maybe 2 seasons. Looking on IMDB it was possibly called <em>How's Your Father?</em> but I can't remember enough about it to be sure. When I Google the sitcom title I just get a load of stuff about a Harry Worth sitcom with the same name.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Angela Chilling, post: 382284, member: 33"] You make some really interesting points. When I watch old TV series and they make racist jokes it still triggers strong negative feelings within me. My jaw literally drops or I physically gasp because it reminds me of how overtly racist the UK could be during that period. However, I do think there is a strong case for continuing to broadcast these shows to remind all viewers of what the UK was like during the 1970s which was far from being the generous, welcoming country we sometimes like to fool ourselves that we were. Similarly with the misogyny and behaviour which today would correctly be called out as sexual harassment or assault but in 1970s sitcoms would be dismissed as men being randy or playful and so was a totally legitimate thing to find funny. I agree, I think he's great. Olive and Blakey were funny and likeable, they were more caricatures, whereas Arthur was a more grounded and believable character and Michael Robbins was great in the role. I remember him also being in a sitcom which I really liked but few other people did because it wasn't particularly successful and only ran for one or maybe 2 seasons. Looking on IMDB it was possibly called [I]How's Your Father?[/I] but I can't remember enough about it to be sure. When I Google the sitcom title I just get a load of stuff about a Harry Worth sitcom with the same name. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top