Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="LMLDallas78" data-source="post: 379515" data-attributes="member: 55682"><p>Seeing those dates makes me realise I must have watched the films when they were repeated. I was too young to watch when they originally aired. I must've watched the series too when it was repeated.</p><p></p><p>As you say audience laughter was very much part of these sit coms and I didn't mind it for other shows, but I imagine I probably saw the films first which is why the films were so disappointing for me. </p><p></p><p>I've never been a fan of comedy as such, it was just part of everyday family viewing, but the films seemed different, probably as you've explained because of budget and how they were filmed. </p><p></p><p>I also really enjoyed the stories involved, there seemed so much going on with the characters jobs and home lives. Stand out ones I remember are them having to deal with women drivers and Olive having her son. I think they were from the films anyway. And also one in a holiday camp similar to Butlins that we could identify with.</p><p></p><p> Olive's husband (can't remember his name even though he was a main character) was a comedic version resembling JR Ewing how he used to speak to and treat Olive, that's just my little observation from a very young mind. Although that was probably like most comedys back then of course. That's not me getting all PC it's just how it was.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>My brother and I would often mimic Reg Varney (is that the right name?) saying, "I'll get you Butler!" So funny.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="LMLDallas78, post: 379515, member: 55682"] Seeing those dates makes me realise I must have watched the films when they were repeated. I was too young to watch when they originally aired. I must've watched the series too when it was repeated. As you say audience laughter was very much part of these sit coms and I didn't mind it for other shows, but I imagine I probably saw the films first which is why the films were so disappointing for me. I've never been a fan of comedy as such, it was just part of everyday family viewing, but the films seemed different, probably as you've explained because of budget and how they were filmed. I also really enjoyed the stories involved, there seemed so much going on with the characters jobs and home lives. Stand out ones I remember are them having to deal with women drivers and Olive having her son. I think they were from the films anyway. And also one in a holiday camp similar to Butlins that we could identify with. Olive's husband (can't remember his name even though he was a main character) was a comedic version resembling JR Ewing how he used to speak to and treat Olive, that's just my little observation from a very young mind. Although that was probably like most comedys back then of course. That's not me getting all PC it's just how it was. My brother and I would often mimic Reg Varney (is that the right name?) saying, "I'll get you Butler!" So funny. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top