Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 379059" data-attributes="member: 23"><p><em>Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt</em> is proving a very digestible series. Already I'm over the halfway line, having finished Series Two last night. </p><p></p><p>As expected, Lynda Baron has been a very watchable part of the second series. What I wasn't expecting was for Vera to have become a more integrated part of the series. Before, she'd drop in once every few episodes and look askance at Selwyn. Not only has Series Two seen Vera become a series regular, she's now also become a barmaid at the working men's club, meaning she's now present in Selwyn's home and social life. What's more, the home scenes have seen her and Maurice planning their wedding, with the final episode of Series Two featuring the happy day. </p><p></p><p>As is often the case with such recasts, I'm curious about the background. Welcome as Lynda Baron is, I thought Rosemary Martin's Vera was great as well and wonder why she didn't return: was she unavailable? Or perhaps it's Lynda who'd been unavailable for the first series. Did the powers that be want more of a "name"? Was the role beefed up because of the recast? Or vice versa? I'll probably never know. </p><p></p><p>The series does feel it's improved with Series Two. Not necessarily because of the recast (and certainly not solely for this reason), but it feels more polished and confident. And rather more purposeful.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 379059, member: 23"] [I]Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt[/I] is proving a very digestible series. Already I'm over the halfway line, having finished Series Two last night. As expected, Lynda Baron has been a very watchable part of the second series. What I wasn't expecting was for Vera to have become a more integrated part of the series. Before, she'd drop in once every few episodes and look askance at Selwyn. Not only has Series Two seen Vera become a series regular, she's now also become a barmaid at the working men's club, meaning she's now present in Selwyn's home and social life. What's more, the home scenes have seen her and Maurice planning their wedding, with the final episode of Series Two featuring the happy day. As is often the case with such recasts, I'm curious about the background. Welcome as Lynda Baron is, I thought Rosemary Martin's Vera was great as well and wonder why she didn't return: was she unavailable? Or perhaps it's Lynda who'd been unavailable for the first series. Did the powers that be want more of a "name"? Was the role beefed up because of the recast? Or vice versa? I'll probably never know. The series does feel it's improved with Series Two. Not necessarily because of the recast (and certainly not solely for this reason), but it feels more polished and confident. And rather more purposeful. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top