Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 344095" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Could be, but there's as good a chance that it's used here and I'm behind the times. I mostly end up hearing about friends' pregnancies through word of mouth anyway. Offhand, I can only think of being in one situation in the last twenty years where a couple has announced a pregnancy to assembled friends. Plus I'm not on social media so I miss any announcements there as well.</p><p></p><p>In the Spider-Man comics I do recall Harry Osborn announcing his wife's pregnancy along these lines and finding the phrasing unusual (this would be circa 1983), but I'd put it down to a quirk of the character.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>It's always sad to read about a series suffering because of a network's loss of interest or sheer contempt. I'm sure there are numerous British examples of this as well. <em>Terry and June</em> springs to mind. The BBC really disliked it because of its twee reputation and (ignoring the strong ratings both it still commanded after many years) they buried it in a teatime slot for its last few years to quietly fade away.</p><p></p><p>Of course, the Beeb also gave their American successes the same treatment. <em>Dallas</em> ended up in a Sunday afternoon slot, despite being one of the jewels in its crown a few years before (though admittedly that was a shadow of its former self and had haemorrhaged viewers for some seasons).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Funnily enough (but not too surprisingly, considering I've watched a number of scenes from <em>WTB</em> recently), this scene keeps popping up in my YT suggestions. I haven't watched it yet, but perhaps I will, just to see how it ends.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 344095, member: 23"] Could be, but there's as good a chance that it's used here and I'm behind the times. I mostly end up hearing about friends' pregnancies through word of mouth anyway. Offhand, I can only think of being in one situation in the last twenty years where a couple has announced a pregnancy to assembled friends. Plus I'm not on social media so I miss any announcements there as well. In the Spider-Man comics I do recall Harry Osborn announcing his wife's pregnancy along these lines and finding the phrasing unusual (this would be circa 1983), but I'd put it down to a quirk of the character. It's always sad to read about a series suffering because of a network's loss of interest or sheer contempt. I'm sure there are numerous British examples of this as well. [I]Terry and June[/I] springs to mind. The BBC really disliked it because of its twee reputation and (ignoring the strong ratings both it still commanded after many years) they buried it in a teatime slot for its last few years to quietly fade away. Of course, the Beeb also gave their American successes the same treatment. [I]Dallas[/I] ended up in a Sunday afternoon slot, despite being one of the jewels in its crown a few years before (though admittedly that was a shadow of its former self and had haemorrhaged viewers for some seasons). Funnily enough (but not too surprisingly, considering I've watched a number of scenes from [I]WTB[/I] recently), this scene keeps popping up in my YT suggestions. I haven't watched it yet, but perhaps I will, just to see how it ends. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top