Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 343959" data-attributes="member: 23"><p><em>The Upper Hand</em> drew to its close in the O'Drama household with a triple bill matinee. </p><p></p><p>The "married" premise of the final series - breaking away from the premise and scripts of <em>Who's The Boss</em> - was a worthwhile experiment and a not unsuccessful one. It was enjoyable enough and kept the feel of earlier series. </p><p></p><p>The "dramatic" arcs with Charlie and Caroline's attempts to have a baby and the long-distance marital troubles for Jo and Dan were background enough not to overpower, though I never really got on board with the "need" for Charlie and Caroline to have a child together. It felt like an unnecessary attempt to force a new "depth" into the relationship (and, as a result, the series). And I could definitely have done without the series' final line "We're pregnant". The "we", bizarrely, referred to Caroline and <u>Charlie</u> rather than Caroline and Jo (who took a simultaneous pregnancy test after a previous mix-up left Jo thinking she was pregnant). It seems an odd choice of phrasing as well as an inaccurate - and physically impossible - one. But hey ho - it was a brief enough arc.</p><p></p><p>While the final run of episodes didn't exactly break new ground. I did particularly like the episode with Laura feeling unwanted at home and going off with her old song and dance partner played by Millicent Martin. </p><p></p><p>Overall, it's been an enjoyable series that I suspect remains more watchable and less dated than its antecedent. All the same, there was a lot of filler over the years that I could have done without and the long series meant that there were times that familiarity bordered on breeding contempt... certainly watching at this pace. When I began watching it was exactly what I craved watching, but by this point I'm certainly ready for the series to end. It may well be <em><u>another</u></em> three decades before I'd feel like watching it again.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 343959, member: 23"] [I]The Upper Hand[/I] drew to its close in the O'Drama household with a triple bill matinee. The "married" premise of the final series - breaking away from the premise and scripts of [I]Who's The Boss[/I] - was a worthwhile experiment and a not unsuccessful one. It was enjoyable enough and kept the feel of earlier series. The "dramatic" arcs with Charlie and Caroline's attempts to have a baby and the long-distance marital troubles for Jo and Dan were background enough not to overpower, though I never really got on board with the "need" for Charlie and Caroline to have a child together. It felt like an unnecessary attempt to force a new "depth" into the relationship (and, as a result, the series). And I could definitely have done without the series' final line "We're pregnant". The "we", bizarrely, referred to Caroline and [U]Charlie[/U] rather than Caroline and Jo (who took a simultaneous pregnancy test after a previous mix-up left Jo thinking she was pregnant). It seems an odd choice of phrasing as well as an inaccurate - and physically impossible - one. But hey ho - it was a brief enough arc. While the final run of episodes didn't exactly break new ground. I did particularly like the episode with Laura feeling unwanted at home and going off with her old song and dance partner played by Millicent Martin. Overall, it's been an enjoyable series that I suspect remains more watchable and less dated than its antecedent. All the same, there was a lot of filler over the years that I could have done without and the long series meant that there were times that familiarity bordered on breeding contempt... certainly watching at this pace. When I began watching it was exactly what I craved watching, but by this point I'm certainly ready for the series to end. It may well be [I][U]another[/U][/I] three decades before I'd feel like watching it again. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top