Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 342310" data-attributes="member: 23"><p><em>The Upper Hand</em> continues to be curate's egg, and it seems to hinge on how well an episode translates. </p><p></p><p><em>Hit The Road</em> - an adaption of <em>WTB's</em> <em>Days Of Blunder </em>- works well because it rings true. The biggest stretch is probably Tom stealing Charlie's Jeep, but it worked well enough. From that point on, each character's reaction felt believable. </p><p></p><p>Conversely, <em>Home Improvement</em> - an adaption of one of the final WTB episodes, <em>Mr Micelli Builds His Dream House </em>- fell flat because even without watching the American version it comes across strongly that it's an episode which would have been built heavily around Tony Danza's very specific (read one-note) appeal and it doesn't work for this lead actor. McGann gamely tries, but ends up playing Charlie as a lobotomised version of the character we met back in Series One, making idiotic choice after idiotic choice while coming across as quite obnoxious. Not helping is the formulaic writing. It's the obligatory DIY episode featured in every sitcom, and the overall effect is one that's formulaic, twee and silly. It simply doesn't work for me. </p><p></p><p>Following the obligatory DIY episode comes the obligatory riff on <em>It's A Wonderful Life </em>as Charlie is shown the life he could have had. I was put off by several factors, not least the facts that it was clearly all happening in Charlie's imagination from the beginning and that this was yet another Charlie-heavy episode. And yet somehow I found myself enjoying the novelty of the episode. The worst thing about it was the terrible special effects as Jimmy Logan beamed round after Charlie, but the story itself was watchable enough. Tired, but watchable.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 342310, member: 23"] [I]The Upper Hand[/I] continues to be curate's egg, and it seems to hinge on how well an episode translates. [I]Hit The Road[/I] - an adaption of [I]WTB's[/I] [I]Days Of Blunder [/I]- works well because it rings true. The biggest stretch is probably Tom stealing Charlie's Jeep, but it worked well enough. From that point on, each character's reaction felt believable. Conversely, [I]Home Improvement[/I] - an adaption of one of the final WTB episodes, [I]Mr Micelli Builds His Dream House [/I]- fell flat because even without watching the American version it comes across strongly that it's an episode which would have been built heavily around Tony Danza's very specific (read one-note) appeal and it doesn't work for this lead actor. McGann gamely tries, but ends up playing Charlie as a lobotomised version of the character we met back in Series One, making idiotic choice after idiotic choice while coming across as quite obnoxious. Not helping is the formulaic writing. It's the obligatory DIY episode featured in every sitcom, and the overall effect is one that's formulaic, twee and silly. It simply doesn't work for me. Following the obligatory DIY episode comes the obligatory riff on [I]It's A Wonderful Life [/I]as Charlie is shown the life he could have had. I was put off by several factors, not least the facts that it was clearly all happening in Charlie's imagination from the beginning and that this was yet another Charlie-heavy episode. And yet somehow I found myself enjoying the novelty of the episode. The worst thing about it was the terrible special effects as Jimmy Logan beamed round after Charlie, but the story itself was watchable enough. Tired, but watchable. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top