Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 328267" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>That makes sense of it. Thanks.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh my. I've heard of it but had no idea it was a remake of <em>Agony!<strong><span style="font-size: 18px">*</span></strong></em></p><p></p><p>I just looked up the series mainly to see if it was as bold and dark as the original version. I was also curious to see if the gay characters - who were notable in the original for being played against stereotypes - made it onto the more conservative networks. I found <a href="https://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/286275/size/big/si/slaps" target="_blank">this article</a> which suggests, sadly, it wasn't anywhere near as bold and the gay characters weren't included:</p><p></p><p></p><p>I shouldn't be surprised, but it seems a waste to dilute such a terrific and daring series into something more fluffy and shallow.</p><p></p><p>I've also only just realised that Lucie Arnaz is not Lucille Ball herself, but Lucy's daughter, so this thread is well and truly educating me.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p><span style="font-size: 18px"><strong>* </strong></span><span style="font-size: 12px">Or perhaps you mentioned this when I was watching <em>Agony!</em> back on the old site and I've forgotten. </span></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes. I think<em> Ab Fab</em> was also very popular Stateside, which perhaps explains why <em>High Society </em>had such a short run.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 328267, member: 23"] That makes sense of it. Thanks. Oh my. I've heard of it but had no idea it was a remake of [I]Agony![B][SIZE=5]*[/SIZE][/B][/I] I just looked up the series mainly to see if it was as bold and dark as the original version. I was also curious to see if the gay characters - who were notable in the original for being played against stereotypes - made it onto the more conservative networks. I found [URL='https://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/286275/size/big/si/slaps']this article[/URL] which suggests, sadly, it wasn't anywhere near as bold and the gay characters weren't included: I shouldn't be surprised, but it seems a waste to dilute such a terrific and daring series into something more fluffy and shallow. I've also only just realised that Lucie Arnaz is not Lucille Ball herself, but Lucy's daughter, so this thread is well and truly educating me. [SIZE=5][B]* [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=3]Or perhaps you mentioned this when I was watching [I]Agony![/I] back on the old site and I've forgotten. [/SIZE] Yes. I think[I] Ab Fab[/I] was also very popular Stateside, which perhaps explains why [I]High Society [/I]had such a short run. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top