Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 290112" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Well, this series is going by far too quickly. I'm now halfway through Series Three, and in another couple of episodes will have overtaken the episodes as shown on BBC1. </p><p></p><p>Something happened during Series Two. It's been incremental, so it's impossible to pinpoint a moment, but having spent time with these characters I've realised I've grown to love them. All of them. </p><p></p><p>The Christmas special which followed Series Two was pretty spot on. And with the opening of Series Three, it hit me that I was really glad to see all of these quirky characters back (it was especially pleasing in 3.1 to see the pompous, blustery neighbour back) and I realised that I would miss any one of them if the dynamics changed. </p><p></p><p>There isn't a character I dislike, and I've come to appreciate all the ghosts in their different ways. And understanding their different functions and quirks I appreciate them even more. Mary, for instance, is a character that took a while to click with me, but now that I get her I find she can make me laugh by doing very little and I'm frequently drawn to watch her in scenes even if she's quite still. I've found Kitty extremely endearing since day one, and she's probably the character I've found the most consistently watchable and likeable. Again, she doesn't need to do much at all. While others bluster away in the foreground I'm finding the less dominant characters are the ones that steal the show. </p><p></p><p>Yes, there are still a couple of tweaks that might make it even more perfect for me (dialling down Fanny's gurning a good few notches, for example. And losing The Captain's repetitive throat clearing and all the anachronistic business). But overall this series, despite my initial resistance, has become one that I now look forward to watching. I find myself regularly charmed by its setup. It helps that in addition to series like <em>The Ghosts Of Motley Hall </em>and <em>Rentaghost</em>, I'm also seeing other influences such as <em>Blackadder</em> and even a bit of <em>The Young Ones</em>. </p><p></p><p>I feel quite sad that there are only another three episodes before I run out of filmed material.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 290112, member: 23"] Well, this series is going by far too quickly. I'm now halfway through Series Three, and in another couple of episodes will have overtaken the episodes as shown on BBC1. Something happened during Series Two. It's been incremental, so it's impossible to pinpoint a moment, but having spent time with these characters I've realised I've grown to love them. All of them. The Christmas special which followed Series Two was pretty spot on. And with the opening of Series Three, it hit me that I was really glad to see all of these quirky characters back (it was especially pleasing in 3.1 to see the pompous, blustery neighbour back) and I realised that I would miss any one of them if the dynamics changed. There isn't a character I dislike, and I've come to appreciate all the ghosts in their different ways. And understanding their different functions and quirks I appreciate them even more. Mary, for instance, is a character that took a while to click with me, but now that I get her I find she can make me laugh by doing very little and I'm frequently drawn to watch her in scenes even if she's quite still. I've found Kitty extremely endearing since day one, and she's probably the character I've found the most consistently watchable and likeable. Again, she doesn't need to do much at all. While others bluster away in the foreground I'm finding the less dominant characters are the ones that steal the show. Yes, there are still a couple of tweaks that might make it even more perfect for me (dialling down Fanny's gurning a good few notches, for example. And losing The Captain's repetitive throat clearing and all the anachronistic business). But overall this series, despite my initial resistance, has become one that I now look forward to watching. I find myself regularly charmed by its setup. It helps that in addition to series like [I]The Ghosts Of Motley Hall [/I]and [I]Rentaghost[/I], I'm also seeing other influences such as [I]Blackadder[/I] and even a bit of [I]The Young Ones[/I]. I feel quite sad that there are only another three episodes before I run out of filmed material. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top