Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 240878" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Another four episodes are finished: the final episode of Series One; the Christmas Special and the first two episodes of Series Two - including Celia Imrie.</p><p></p><p>There's much to love about the series. The cast chemistry remains wonderful. The scenarios are fun. There are some terrific lines. I'm laughing a great deal. There's even been a little location work in Series Two . Well, just a short scene or two, but enough to bring some interest. This isn't a series that <em>needs</em> location work, since it's somewhere in between theatre and traditional, multiple-camera sitcom.</p><p></p><p>However, my doubts about the writing remains. There are times when a little finesse would elevate this series from enjoyable to legendary. Certain scenarios and lines still feel familiar from <em>Will & Grace</em> and the like. The colourful language adds nothing and sometimes it feels like characters are saying "f**k" to get a cheap laugh in place of a genuinely witty line. I know the series is called <em>Vicious</em>, but I also find some of the humour a little cruel and harsh. I suppose I like my British sitcoms a little more sedate. In place of sparkling lines is an awful lot of cartoony physical stuff. People fall down. A lot. Ash fell over carrying the Christmas turkey. Stuart's mother fell over when he came out to her. And I feel Sir Ian McKellen deserves better material than putting on a Father Christmas costume only for a stunt double to then fall down the stairs. It's lazy, lazy, lazy writing. When one can't think of a clever line, simply write "x falls over" or put an expletive in the mouth of an elderly character to get a guaranteed laugh. Bob Larbey this isn't.</p><p></p><p>In addition, I feel the phraseology either lacks British detail or is tailored towards a transatlantic audience. In the Christmas episode, numerous characters referenced "gifts". Not one brought a "present". There's a lot of "I guess" and "I know, right?". Ash even said "gotten" on one occasion (to be fair, he is younger and I have heard younger people use this, albeit the first instance I recall was in 2018-ish). Some of it seems jarring.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 240878, member: 23"] Another four episodes are finished: the final episode of Series One; the Christmas Special and the first two episodes of Series Two - including Celia Imrie. There's much to love about the series. The cast chemistry remains wonderful. The scenarios are fun. There are some terrific lines. I'm laughing a great deal. There's even been a little location work in Series Two . Well, just a short scene or two, but enough to bring some interest. This isn't a series that [I]needs[/I] location work, since it's somewhere in between theatre and traditional, multiple-camera sitcom. However, my doubts about the writing remains. There are times when a little finesse would elevate this series from enjoyable to legendary. Certain scenarios and lines still feel familiar from [I]Will & Grace[/I] and the like. The colourful language adds nothing and sometimes it feels like characters are saying "f**k" to get a cheap laugh in place of a genuinely witty line. I know the series is called [I]Vicious[/I], but I also find some of the humour a little cruel and harsh. I suppose I like my British sitcoms a little more sedate. In place of sparkling lines is an awful lot of cartoony physical stuff. People fall down. A lot. Ash fell over carrying the Christmas turkey. Stuart's mother fell over when he came out to her. And I feel Sir Ian McKellen deserves better material than putting on a Father Christmas costume only for a stunt double to then fall down the stairs. It's lazy, lazy, lazy writing. When one can't think of a clever line, simply write "x falls over" or put an expletive in the mouth of an elderly character to get a guaranteed laugh. Bob Larbey this isn't. In addition, I feel the phraseology either lacks British detail or is tailored towards a transatlantic audience. In the Christmas episode, numerous characters referenced "gifts". Not one brought a "present". There's a lot of "I guess" and "I know, right?". Ash even said "gotten" on one occasion (to be fair, he is younger and I have heard younger people use this, albeit the first instance I recall was in 2018-ish). Some of it seems jarring. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top