Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 223699" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>With just one episode of the series proper in front of me, it feels like this is going to be one of those enjoyably brief series that doesn't outstay its welcome.</p><p></p><p>There's a great deal of continuity, which is appreciated. And it's not overplayed, which is even better. Just two episodes after Betty announced she was pregnant, Jessica was born. It was just enough. Likewise, two episodes before the final episode Frank heard from his uncle in Australia, paving the way for the upcoming emigration and flying lessons. The penultimate episode even had a series of people who'd encountered Frank in previous episodes called as witnesses during his court appearance, which was a brilliant touch. </p><p></p><p>After the final regular episode, I still have the Christmas special to watch. And I've found a reasonable quality video of the 2016 Sport Relief special on YouTube, so I'll probably dip into that as well. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Norman Wisdom was also mooted, apparently. It's easy to get an image of Wisdom's Frank Spencer, since Crawford's take on the character is quite Wisdom-like. </p><p></p><p>Ronnie Barker sounds more interesting. I'm sure the big stunts would have either not happened or would have been performed with a stunt double. But his timing is impeccable, so I can envisage him doing physical comedy well in the series. He did the hapless-but-loveable bit in <em>Clarence</em> a decade and a half later, which perhaps gives an idea of what his Frank might have looked like.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 223699, member: 23"] With just one episode of the series proper in front of me, it feels like this is going to be one of those enjoyably brief series that doesn't outstay its welcome. There's a great deal of continuity, which is appreciated. And it's not overplayed, which is even better. Just two episodes after Betty announced she was pregnant, Jessica was born. It was just enough. Likewise, two episodes before the final episode Frank heard from his uncle in Australia, paving the way for the upcoming emigration and flying lessons. The penultimate episode even had a series of people who'd encountered Frank in previous episodes called as witnesses during his court appearance, which was a brilliant touch. After the final regular episode, I still have the Christmas special to watch. And I've found a reasonable quality video of the 2016 Sport Relief special on YouTube, so I'll probably dip into that as well. Norman Wisdom was also mooted, apparently. It's easy to get an image of Wisdom's Frank Spencer, since Crawford's take on the character is quite Wisdom-like. Ronnie Barker sounds more interesting. I'm sure the big stunts would have either not happened or would have been performed with a stunt double. But his timing is impeccable, so I can envisage him doing physical comedy well in the series. He did the hapless-but-loveable bit in [I]Clarence[/I] a decade and a half later, which perhaps gives an idea of what his Frank might have looked like. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top