Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 193314" data-attributes="member: 23"><p><em>Please Sir!</em> is now behind me. The latter episodes were a little tedious at times (those being when the focus was on the kids), but still enjoyably watchable at others thanks to decent writing and a wonderful older cast. Curiously, the final episode <em>began</em> with Miss Ewell now Mrs Sibley, with no sign of an on-screen wedding. I actually began to wonder if I'd missed a key episode. </p><p></p><p>Meanwhile, <em>The Fenn Street Gang </em>has entered its second series with a jaunty new theme and opening credits and some revamped sets. And the return of Malcolm McFee as Craven. An interesting case of replacing his replacement. Other than this it's business as usual. But the joy of this series is that there isn't a "usual" as such. The tone of the series varies from episode to episode, depending on whom it focusses and what the subject it turning their hand to this week. </p><p></p><p>While I've never seen <em>Fenn Street</em> before, I am aware that there's a spinoff, <em>Bowler</em>, and so have been watching the episodes featuring George Baker's Mr Bowler with interest. The news is good, I think. He's a great character, one whose scenes I've thoroughly enjoyed. </p><p></p><p>Around two thirds through the entire series, it's still very enjoyable and the characters very likeable. It's even more watchable now I'm not alternating it with <em>Please Sir!</em> I honestly don't know if this is because the second series is better or because I'm spending more time with these characters.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 193314, member: 23"] [I]Please Sir![/I] is now behind me. The latter episodes were a little tedious at times (those being when the focus was on the kids), but still enjoyably watchable at others thanks to decent writing and a wonderful older cast. Curiously, the final episode [I]began[/I] with Miss Ewell now Mrs Sibley, with no sign of an on-screen wedding. I actually began to wonder if I'd missed a key episode. Meanwhile, [I]The Fenn Street Gang [/I]has entered its second series with a jaunty new theme and opening credits and some revamped sets. And the return of Malcolm McFee as Craven. An interesting case of replacing his replacement. Other than this it's business as usual. But the joy of this series is that there isn't a "usual" as such. The tone of the series varies from episode to episode, depending on whom it focusses and what the subject it turning their hand to this week. While I've never seen [I]Fenn Street[/I] before, I am aware that there's a spinoff, [I]Bowler[/I], and so have been watching the episodes featuring George Baker's Mr Bowler with interest. The news is good, I think. He's a great character, one whose scenes I've thoroughly enjoyed. Around two thirds through the entire series, it's still very enjoyable and the characters very likeable. It's even more watchable now I'm not alternating it with [I]Please Sir![/I] I honestly don't know if this is because the second series is better or because I'm spending more time with these characters. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top