Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 189617" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>The Third Series had one of the most perfect sitcom endings. I appreciated especially the use of silence: that beautiful moment where Bernard walked round his empty classroom brought a lump to my throat. After all the noise and boisterousness, I joined him in quiet reflection. It had the best of both worlds: a sense of closure with the assurance that life would go on.</p><p></p><p>The Christmas special with Bernard's wedding was the icing on the cake. Even with Bernard engaged, the last regular episode had given such closure that the wedding didn't feel absolutely necessary. But it was a nice little Christmas bonus.</p><p></p><p>Knowing (up to a point) what's coming regarding the format of the series, the special also showed that the characters work outside of the classroom environment. Increasingly as the series went on we'd seen snippets of home life. Particularly Bernard's, but we've been home to meet Sharon's Mum and Dennis's Dad. All the same, I'm curious to see how I'll feel about the spinoff <em>and</em> the retooled original series. The ending of Series Three suggested new beginnings as much as endings. But it's one thing to see the promise of new beginnings in a winking kind of way as part of an ending. It's quite another to pick up that wink and run with it as the main event. Will it muddy the waters? We'll see.</p><p></p><p>Only one thing is certain: I've had to create a spreadsheet to follow the viewing order for the new term.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 189617, member: 23"] The Third Series had one of the most perfect sitcom endings. I appreciated especially the use of silence: that beautiful moment where Bernard walked round his empty classroom brought a lump to my throat. After all the noise and boisterousness, I joined him in quiet reflection. It had the best of both worlds: a sense of closure with the assurance that life would go on. The Christmas special with Bernard's wedding was the icing on the cake. Even with Bernard engaged, the last regular episode had given such closure that the wedding didn't feel absolutely necessary. But it was a nice little Christmas bonus. Knowing (up to a point) what's coming regarding the format of the series, the special also showed that the characters work outside of the classroom environment. Increasingly as the series went on we'd seen snippets of home life. Particularly Bernard's, but we've been home to meet Sharon's Mum and Dennis's Dad. All the same, I'm curious to see how I'll feel about the spinoff [I]and[/I] the retooled original series. The ending of Series Three suggested new beginnings as much as endings. But it's one thing to see the promise of new beginnings in a winking kind of way as part of an ending. It's quite another to pick up that wink and run with it as the main event. Will it muddy the waters? We'll see. Only one thing is certain: I've had to create a spreadsheet to follow the viewing order for the new term. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top