Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 188578" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Imagine my delight on Saturday evening to discover I'd just watched Series Two's <em>X Certificate</em> exactly half a century after its original air day.</p><p></p><p><em>Please Sir!</em> is proving to be an absolute gem. I'm getting to know all the teachers who, as I'd expected, are proving great characters. Joan Sanderson, of course, always gives great value for money, while Erik Chitty is proving something of a scene-stealer as bumbling Smitty.</p><p></p><p>A bigger surprise for me is the children. My initial fear of them being a homogenous mass, one indistinguishable from the next, has been well and truly allayed. Each brings something special and there's not one I don't enjoy, though I was rather surprised to see David Barry as the first billed of the children as I couldn't place him at all. He seems to disappear among the throng most of the time. My goodness, some of the "young" people look even older in colour than they did before. Peter Cleall in particular looks as though he could be one of the parents.</p><p></p><p>The gritty side of the series is still appealing. It seems to delight in rebelling against what we now know as political correctness. It's there overtly, such as the head's sharp intakes of breath when a teacher uses a dated term to describe someone of a minority faith or ethnicity, but also feels written into the fabric of the series. It's been a treat to see a Sixties sitcom that's dropped the word "bastard" into the mix every once in a while, and included a sustained shot of a naked bum.</p><p></p><p>I'd adjusted to the 40 minute running time, but the more standard length for the second series feels punchier and even more easy to devour.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 188578, member: 23"] Imagine my delight on Saturday evening to discover I'd just watched Series Two's [I]X Certificate[/I] exactly half a century after its original air day. [I]Please Sir![/I] is proving to be an absolute gem. I'm getting to know all the teachers who, as I'd expected, are proving great characters. Joan Sanderson, of course, always gives great value for money, while Erik Chitty is proving something of a scene-stealer as bumbling Smitty. A bigger surprise for me is the children. My initial fear of them being a homogenous mass, one indistinguishable from the next, has been well and truly allayed. Each brings something special and there's not one I don't enjoy, though I was rather surprised to see David Barry as the first billed of the children as I couldn't place him at all. He seems to disappear among the throng most of the time. My goodness, some of the "young" people look even older in colour than they did before. Peter Cleall in particular looks as though he could be one of the parents. The gritty side of the series is still appealing. It seems to delight in rebelling against what we now know as political correctness. It's there overtly, such as the head's sharp intakes of breath when a teacher uses a dated term to describe someone of a minority faith or ethnicity, but also feels written into the fabric of the series. It's been a treat to see a Sixties sitcom that's dropped the word "bastard" into the mix every once in a while, and included a sustained shot of a naked bum. I'd adjusted to the 40 minute running time, but the more standard length for the second series feels punchier and even more easy to devour. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top