Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Carry On films
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 118577" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>With a couple of longer journeys in the last week or so I've finally got round to listening to this. Even at eighty nine years of age Fenella's trademark voice is a joy to listen to.</p><p></p><p>Fenella's naivety around sex was kind of a recurring theme. Part of me wonders if the double entendres about blowing Sgt. Bung's whistle <em>really</em> went over her head or if it's been spun as part of her eccentric persona. I like to think it's true, just because if so it's rather charming. Along similar lines, her tale of a childhood encounter with The Clapton Flasher is horrific on the face of it and yet delivered with warmth, humour and frankness by Fenella as just another amusing anecdote. This juxtaposition sums up Fenella's outlook and the entire tone of the book. If you don't get her at this point (just four minutes into the audiobook), you may as well not listen on. </p><p></p><p>Fortunately, I did listen on to the end and enjoyed it immensely. Various feuds are in there - Cecil Landau and Kenneth Williams to name just two (as she discussed her spats with Kenneth Williams I was very conscious that this was just one person's side of the story. But I've read Kenneth's side in such depth that I was fine with that). And her career, from stage to <em>Skins</em>. Even the <em>La La Land</em> film got a mention, so we're pretty much bang up to date.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 118577, member: 23"] With a couple of longer journeys in the last week or so I've finally got round to listening to this. Even at eighty nine years of age Fenella's trademark voice is a joy to listen to. Fenella's naivety around sex was kind of a recurring theme. Part of me wonders if the double entendres about blowing Sgt. Bung's whistle [I]really[/I] went over her head or if it's been spun as part of her eccentric persona. I like to think it's true, just because if so it's rather charming. Along similar lines, her tale of a childhood encounter with The Clapton Flasher is horrific on the face of it and yet delivered with warmth, humour and frankness by Fenella as just another amusing anecdote. This juxtaposition sums up Fenella's outlook and the entire tone of the book. If you don't get her at this point (just four minutes into the audiobook), you may as well not listen on. Fortunately, I did listen on to the end and enjoyed it immensely. Various feuds are in there - Cecil Landau and Kenneth Williams to name just two (as she discussed her spats with Kenneth Williams I was very conscious that this was just one person's side of the story. But I've read Kenneth's side in such depth that I was fine with that). And her career, from stage to [I]Skins[/I]. Even the [I]La La Land[/I] film got a mention, so we're pretty much bang up to date. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
The Carry On films
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top