Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Carrie Fairchild" data-source="post: 333402" data-attributes="member: 673"><p>I dipped back into the show about two weeks before the finale and I have to say, it was a great run of episodes up to the finale. In addition to the various returnees, there was a lot of great references to the past and cheeky nods to some behind the scenes stuff (Lucy being recast three times was the butt of a few jokes as was the fact that a lot of characters that left over the years ended up moving to Queensland).</p><p></p><p>Regarding the finale, I thought it was good fun and had a lot of heart. Guy Pearce’s return was excellent and Mike’s arc with Jane was a great way to wrap up the show by having it’s origins recognised alongside more recent storylines. Susan’s speech at the end was lovely and the mix of resolution and nostalgia left you coming away with a warm feeling.</p><p></p><p>Everyone’s talking about the fact that Charlene was basically mute during her appearances (I think she spoke 5 words altogether). There’s a behind the scenes video on the <em>Neighbours</em> Twitter account and it sounds like Kylie wouldn’t have appeared only Jason Donovan emailed her and that convinced her. Also, she was apparently only available for half a day’s shooting, so I’m guessing she didn’t want to commit to much in terms of dialogue and scenes and was just there as a tribute to where they got their start. For those asking about when she last acted, I think she had a small role in disaster movie <em>San Andreas</em> a few years ago. Prior to that, the last thing I recall her in was that <em>Doctor Who</em> Christmas special. Also, for those asking about the return of Des, he was mentioned a few times in the final weeks as Paul had gone to his bank for help in raising money to pay Terese’s divorce settlement. So he was kind of there in the background although I don’t know if he’s supposed to be based in Melbourne or dropped in for a visit.</p><p></p><p>There’s an Australian TV podcast that I listen to occasionally and when the axe officially fell a few months ago, they discussed the show’s status in Australia. Apparently Ten didn’t promote the show at all, in terms of on air promos or in the press, compared to <em>H&A. </em>The opinion was that it was seen as a show that was being made for a UK audience and had they focused a bit more on the Australian market, it might not have gotten the chop. Segueing slightly, but on the subject of getting the chop, I also saw people complaining on Twitter about Channel 5 cutting one minute out of the finale to make more time for adverts.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Carrie Fairchild, post: 333402, member: 673"] I dipped back into the show about two weeks before the finale and I have to say, it was a great run of episodes up to the finale. In addition to the various returnees, there was a lot of great references to the past and cheeky nods to some behind the scenes stuff (Lucy being recast three times was the butt of a few jokes as was the fact that a lot of characters that left over the years ended up moving to Queensland). Regarding the finale, I thought it was good fun and had a lot of heart. Guy Pearce’s return was excellent and Mike’s arc with Jane was a great way to wrap up the show by having it’s origins recognised alongside more recent storylines. Susan’s speech at the end was lovely and the mix of resolution and nostalgia left you coming away with a warm feeling. Everyone’s talking about the fact that Charlene was basically mute during her appearances (I think she spoke 5 words altogether). There’s a behind the scenes video on the [I]Neighbours[/I] Twitter account and it sounds like Kylie wouldn’t have appeared only Jason Donovan emailed her and that convinced her. Also, she was apparently only available for half a day’s shooting, so I’m guessing she didn’t want to commit to much in terms of dialogue and scenes and was just there as a tribute to where they got their start. For those asking about when she last acted, I think she had a small role in disaster movie [I]San Andreas[/I] a few years ago. Prior to that, the last thing I recall her in was that [I]Doctor Who[/I] Christmas special. Also, for those asking about the return of Des, he was mentioned a few times in the final weeks as Paul had gone to his bank for help in raising money to pay Terese’s divorce settlement. So he was kind of there in the background although I don’t know if he’s supposed to be based in Melbourne or dropped in for a visit. There’s an Australian TV podcast that I listen to occasionally and when the axe officially fell a few months ago, they discussed the show’s status in Australia. Apparently Ten didn’t promote the show at all, in terms of on air promos or in the press, compared to [I]H&A. [/I]The opinion was that it was seen as a show that was being made for a UK audience and had they focused a bit more on the Australian market, it might not have gotten the chop. Segueing slightly, but on the subject of getting the chop, I also saw people complaining on Twitter about Channel 5 cutting one minute out of the finale to make more time for adverts. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top