Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="JamesF" data-source="post: 332573" data-attributes="member: 299"><p>I'm really enjoying your insights as ever! I'm the same age as the show and have watched (with wavering degrees of affection) for my entire life. I have fairly vivid childhood memories of the "golden" Kylie/Jason era and have watched plenty of it since but I don't have that connection with the zeitgeist at the time to really grasp what it meant. It's fascinating to see the end of the show through your eyes and must be quite surreal to watch these characters 30+ years on.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>One of the things I'll miss dearly. Looking at the silver linings of the last 6 or 7 years and the complete lack of interest that Australians had for the show, I think it freed them from a lot of the business shackles that keep modern day <em>Home and Away </em>as such a white, heterosexual landscape. The diversity in the cast is one of its biggest strengths as it bows out.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I love this comparison, it made something click in my brain about who Jane is now! It was Annie Jones' idea to Mrs Mangel-ify her slightly, as part of the intervening story was that she had been 'lumbered' with caring for her in her dying days. She clearly loves getting to grips with a long term character again and has great chemistry with the actress playing her daughter. I think she had to cease acting for a while due to personal circumstances so it's really lovely that she's been able to return in such a strong way and be there to wrap up the show.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="JamesF, post: 332573, member: 299"] I'm really enjoying your insights as ever! I'm the same age as the show and have watched (with wavering degrees of affection) for my entire life. I have fairly vivid childhood memories of the "golden" Kylie/Jason era and have watched plenty of it since but I don't have that connection with the zeitgeist at the time to really grasp what it meant. It's fascinating to see the end of the show through your eyes and must be quite surreal to watch these characters 30+ years on. One of the things I'll miss dearly. Looking at the silver linings of the last 6 or 7 years and the complete lack of interest that Australians had for the show, I think it freed them from a lot of the business shackles that keep modern day [I]Home and Away [/I]as such a white, heterosexual landscape. The diversity in the cast is one of its biggest strengths as it bows out. I love this comparison, it made something click in my brain about who Jane is now! It was Annie Jones' idea to Mrs Mangel-ify her slightly, as part of the intervening story was that she had been 'lumbered' with caring for her in her dying days. She clearly loves getting to grips with a long term character again and has great chemistry with the actress playing her daughter. I think she had to cease acting for a while due to personal circumstances so it's really lovely that she's been able to return in such a strong way and be there to wrap up the show. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top