Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Miss Texas 1967" data-source="post: 283916" data-attributes="member: 36"><p>I just watched this, I thought it was very well made and enjoyed it a lot. I do note I thought it was quite poorly explained why they wanted Leslie Howard so much though. It seemed to be expected that we knew he'd make a great Ashley (debatable lol) but then they also went and criticised how old he looked on camera and how unsuited for the character age he actually was. Was it his acting they wanted him for?</p><p>I'd have liked more explanation about Olivia and Hattie's casting too, they were important characters.</p><p>I can see from the footage why they had Paulette Goddard as a strong contender, she struck me as the only one I wasn't constantly comparing to how Vivien Leigh eventually played the scenes.</p><p>I think too they glossed over the public reaction to some of the racial elements too. That may not have been big in comparison to everything else going on but it did happen.</p><p>I'd have loved to see more of the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor too. It might be optimistic to think they have that preserved at all though. The book was full of scenes that added a lot of extra detail to the story and I imagine they filmed a great number of them and then edited the film down.</p><p>Overall a good watch.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Miss Texas 1967, post: 283916, member: 36"] I just watched this, I thought it was very well made and enjoyed it a lot. I do note I thought it was quite poorly explained why they wanted Leslie Howard so much though. It seemed to be expected that we knew he'd make a great Ashley (debatable lol) but then they also went and criticised how old he looked on camera and how unsuited for the character age he actually was. Was it his acting they wanted him for? I'd have liked more explanation about Olivia and Hattie's casting too, they were important characters. I can see from the footage why they had Paulette Goddard as a strong contender, she struck me as the only one I wasn't constantly comparing to how Vivien Leigh eventually played the scenes. I think too they glossed over the public reaction to some of the racial elements too. That may not have been big in comparison to everything else going on but it did happen. I'd have loved to see more of the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor too. It might be optimistic to think they have that preserved at all though. The book was full of scenes that added a lot of extra detail to the story and I imagine they filmed a great number of them and then edited the film down. Overall a good watch. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top