Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Angela Channing" data-source="post: 339501" data-attributes="member: 33"><p>Oxford commas are in the news because one of the priorities of our new health secretary, Therese Coffey, isn't to sort out long hopsital waiting lists but to stop her staff from using Oxford commas.</p><p></p><p>[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/short-briefings-banned-jargon-and-no-oxford-commas-therese-coffeys-rules-for-department-of-health-staff-xbjzxhk5n[/URL]</p><p></p><p>Personally, until now I've never used the term "Oxford commas" I previously thought they were called serial commas. I never use them myself but I can see how in some circumstances they are an acceptable option. </p><p></p><p>Oxford commas are the last comma in a list, for example:</p><p></p><p><strong>The best TV shows of the 1980s were soaps operas, Dallas, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, and The Thorn Birds.</strong></p><p></p><p>The comma after Knots Landing and before the word "and" is a serial, or Oxford, comma. </p><p></p><p>Do you ever use for Oxford commas?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Angela Channing, post: 339501, member: 33"] Oxford commas are in the news because one of the priorities of our new health secretary, Therese Coffey, isn't to sort out long hopsital waiting lists but to stop her staff from using Oxford commas. [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/short-briefings-banned-jargon-and-no-oxford-commas-therese-coffeys-rules-for-department-of-health-staff-xbjzxhk5n[/URL] Personally, until now I've never used the term "Oxford commas" I previously thought they were called serial commas. I never use them myself but I can see how in some circumstances they are an acceptable option. Oxford commas are the last comma in a list, for example: [B]The best TV shows of the 1980s were soaps operas, Dallas, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, and The Thorn Birds.[/B] The comma after Knots Landing and before the word "and" is a serial, or Oxford, comma. Do you ever use for Oxford commas? [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top