Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 330177" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>Still a form of communication, no?</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Language is elastic. Much of what you consider proper wouldn't have been at some point in the past; "trendy" was a slangy addition to the language in the mid-60s and someone probably groused about it.</p><p></p><p>I'm not pro-sloppy language, but I've also come to find out that, far more often than not, it just doesn't matter that much. I don't know a person under 30 who uses capitalization or punctuation in casual communication (text, IM). On extremely rare occasions this might be confusing -- not sure if they're asking or telling me something, sometimes -- but usually it's easy enough to understand. </p><p></p><p>Few things make someone seem as curmudgeonly as complaining about how other people write/talk. There are too many variables to expect conformity -- regional, generational, expediency. It's like sniggering at someone for using the wrong fork to eat a salad.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Many people communicate verbally far more than in writing, and they do after all sound the same. For years, I couldn't understand why people would write "could of" until it finally occurred to me that they were mis-hearing "could've".</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 330177, member: 5079"] Still a form of communication, no? Language is elastic. Much of what you consider proper wouldn't have been at some point in the past; "trendy" was a slangy addition to the language in the mid-60s and someone probably groused about it. I'm not pro-sloppy language, but I've also come to find out that, far more often than not, it just doesn't matter that much. I don't know a person under 30 who uses capitalization or punctuation in casual communication (text, IM). On extremely rare occasions this might be confusing -- not sure if they're asking or telling me something, sometimes -- but usually it's easy enough to understand. Few things make someone seem as curmudgeonly as complaining about how other people write/talk. There are too many variables to expect conformity -- regional, generational, expediency. It's like sniggering at someone for using the wrong fork to eat a salad. Many people communicate verbally far more than in writing, and they do after all sound the same. For years, I couldn't understand why people would write "could of" until it finally occurred to me that they were mis-hearing "could've". [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top