Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 330138" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>I'm about to be unpopular in this thread by taking the dissenting opinion. I used to be judgmental about others' grammar and spelling, and harsh on myself for errors. A few months back, I came across a linguist on TikTok (of all places) who essentially presented that the 'finer points' of language are irrelevant. My immediate reaction to that was hostile, but the longer it seeped in my brain the more I accepted it -- and it's nice to know I'm not so set in my ways that, when presented with new information, I can't change my mind.</p><p></p><p>Language's purpose is communication; if a point is understood, obsessing about 'proper' spelling or grammar is just persnickety snobbery. </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]38626[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 330138, member: 5079"] I'm about to be unpopular in this thread by taking the dissenting opinion. I used to be judgmental about others' grammar and spelling, and harsh on myself for errors. A few months back, I came across a linguist on TikTok (of all places) who essentially presented that the 'finer points' of language are irrelevant. My immediate reaction to that was hostile, but the longer it seeped in my brain the more I accepted it -- and it's nice to know I'm not so set in my ways that, when presented with new information, I can't change my mind. Language's purpose is communication; if a point is understood, obsessing about 'proper' spelling or grammar is just persnickety snobbery. [ATTACH type="full" alt="Screenshot 2022-06-27 131741.png"]38626[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top