Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 244648" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>I've always thought it added more pause between the pre- and post-semi-colon text, whereas a full stop would result in two painfully short sentences.</p><p>It's always annoyed me that this symbol is the first (non-shift) option on the keyboard; but I think I'm going to use it more often now. Thanks, James!</p><p></p><p></p><p>The comma is a devilish temptress when I feel that my text looks like I'm rambling on (which is probably exactly what it is).</p><p>However - and how I <em>love</em> that word, it's so dramatic! - sometimes it's fun to see how many commas, dashes and brackets I can cram into one sentence.</p><p></p><p>Depends on the how and when. We shouldn't be afraid to be playful with our languages and I feel that poetry/song lyrics can get away with pretty much everything.</p><p>But are you sure that "impact" is not an official verb? Although it does sound kind of modern-ish.</p><p></p><p>Either way, the overkill of <em>any</em> word is always going to irritate, y'know'm sayin'.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 244648, member: 8"] I've always thought it added more pause between the pre- and post-semi-colon text, whereas a full stop would result in two painfully short sentences. It's always annoyed me that this symbol is the first (non-shift) option on the keyboard; but I think I'm going to use it more often now. Thanks, James! The comma is a devilish temptress when I feel that my text looks like I'm rambling on (which is probably exactly what it is). However - and how I [I]love[/I] that word, it's so dramatic! - sometimes it's fun to see how many commas, dashes and brackets I can cram into one sentence. Depends on the how and when. We shouldn't be afraid to be playful with our languages and I feel that poetry/song lyrics can get away with pretty much everything. But are you sure that "impact" is not an official verb? Although it does sound kind of modern-ish. Either way, the overkill of [I]any[/I] word is always going to irritate, y'know'm sayin'. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top