Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 244590" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Whether it's due to lockdown, age or the moon, I find myself increasingly intolerant when it comes to the deliberate mangling of English.</p><p></p><p>So here's a space to moan about those darned pesky kids and their millennialisms. I have two that I desperately need to get off my tight little chest.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Let's start with:</p><p></p><p></p><p><strong>"Excited for" vs. "Excited about"</strong></p><p></p><p></p><p>Is there no longer a difference?</p><p></p><p>Increasingly, I see "excited for" used when someone is looking forward to an event or product.</p><p></p><p>For example, "I'm excited for the new film". Which means "I'm excited on behalf of the new film". Or "I'm sharing the excitement the film is feeling".</p><p></p><p>Presumably, the person intends to say they themselves are feeling excitement in anticipation of said film. Or, in English, they are "excited <u><em>about</em></u> the new film".</p><p></p><p>Are people deliberately saying the wrong thing? In the same way that "sick" means "good" and "killing something" means doing it rather well? Is it now uncool to be clear that one is excited <em>about</em> something?</p><p></p><p>Incidentally, it's apparently not a new trend. <a href="https://www.dailywritingtips.com/excited-about-not-for/" target="_blank">This decade old article</a> has the same complaint.</p><p></p><p>Anyway, I feel much better now that I've complained <s>for it</s> about it.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 244590, member: 23"] Whether it's due to lockdown, age or the moon, I find myself increasingly intolerant when it comes to the deliberate mangling of English. So here's a space to moan about those darned pesky kids and their millennialisms. I have two that I desperately need to get off my tight little chest. Let's start with: [B]"Excited for" vs. "Excited about"[/B] Is there no longer a difference? Increasingly, I see "excited for" used when someone is looking forward to an event or product. For example, "I'm excited for the new film". Which means "I'm excited on behalf of the new film". Or "I'm sharing the excitement the film is feeling". Presumably, the person intends to say they themselves are feeling excitement in anticipation of said film. Or, in English, they are "excited [U][I]about[/I][/U] the new film". Are people deliberately saying the wrong thing? In the same way that "sick" means "good" and "killing something" means doing it rather well? Is it now uncool to be clear that one is excited [I]about[/I] something? Incidentally, it's apparently not a new trend. [URL='https://www.dailywritingtips.com/excited-about-not-for/']This decade old article[/URL] has the same complaint. Anyway, I feel much better now that I've complained [S]for it[/S] about it. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Community
The Lounge
Rant Room
Grammarants
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top